Autumn Arugula Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Hazelnuts
Yield: Serves 4
Time: 40 Minutes
- 3 cups of cubed sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 pomegranate
- 5oz arugula
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ balsamic vinegar
- goat cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place hazelnuts on a tray and roast for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper on a large baking dish and roast at 400°F for about 30 minus until tender.
- Seed pomegranate, you might cut the fruit in half and then hit the back of the shell with a wood spatula and the seeds easily fall out.
- Place arugula in a bowl and top off with balsamic vinegar, the roasted sweet potatoes, pomegranate seeds, roasted hazelnuts and goat cheese (if desired).
Sweet Potato, Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake
Yield: Serves 6-8
Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled, resulting in 1 cup mashed
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil. Add peeled sweet potato and boil until potato is soft. Drain and let cool slightly, then mash. Measure out 1 cup.
- In a large bowl, beat together mashed sweet potatoes and canola oil. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sweet potato mixture, mixing until well combined. Finally, add chopped hazelnuts.